Spotlight on GRSP South Africa - road safety in South Africa
Wednesday, 14 September 2011 , Spotlight Feature
YOURS has implemented a new criteria for its network and we are happy to see a growth in the wealth of information being inputted in the MINE Section. As mentioned a few weeks ago, YOURS will be spotlighting organizations that have the best information about their work. This month, we put the spotlight on GRSP South Africa.
The Global Road Safety Partnership South Africa (GRSP ZA) was registered as a Section 21 company in 2007. The function of GRSP ZA is to broker partnerships between government, business and civil society organisations that are dedicated to reducing death and injury on the roads in South Africa.The GRSP ZA was created in 2003 and focuses solely on bringing together like-minded organisations that are committed to addressing the road safety challenges affecting South Africa. The organisations combine their resources and knowledge to implement sustainable interventions that reduce the number of deaths on our roads.Our members include government agencies, road safety experts, engineering companies, NGO’s, and corporates.\\
Vision: The GRSP ZA is committed to reducing road accident and pedestrian related fatalities in all of South Africa's vulnerable communities.
Mission: We believe that the challenges of road safety in South Africa must be addressed through holistic interventions. The GRSP ZA believes that through education programmes, engineering and law enforcement, the number of road accident and pedestrian fatalities can be reduced in some of the hazardous road accident locations throughout South Africa.
Objectives and Services
1.To broker partnerships between business, civil society and government agencies that are dedicated to the sustainable reduction of death and injury on South Africa's roads
2. To support programmes that provide road safety education to learners and communities that are in the proximity of hazardous road hotspots
3.To bring together road management specialists, engineering agencies and government to improve and reconstruct hazardous road accident hotspots
4. To support law enforcement by aligning our members' programmes with these enforcement initiatives
To date their programmes have included the following
1. Road Safety Theatre: Education and Theatre Training
2. Road Safety Debate: Awareness and Debate Training
3. Road Safety Poster Competition: Education and Poster Design
4. Road Safety Visibility Programme: Reflective Bag and Education
5. Non Motorized Transport Initiatives: Supervised Walking Groups for Child Scholars: Designated Safe Routes (view http://youtu.be/oKA3PNzZwkI)
6. Development of Road Safety Training Manual for The South African Red Cross: Research and Implementation
7. Road Safety International Awareness Campaign: I-WALK-TO-SCHOOL
8. Community Road Safety Engagement: Working with local police, community workers, parents and principals to sustain road safety activities beyond funding.
Given the high rate of road safety accidents and pedestrian related fatalities in South Africa, there is a great need for GRSP ZA’s interventions as well as the dire need for funding to continue our mission. Please visit www.grsp.org.za for further detail as well as our blog on www.changeagentsforroadsafety.wordpress.com
- Cape Town
- South Africa