The creation of YOURS is a direct follow-up to the 2007 World Youth Assembly. One of the main wishes identified as a follow-up to the Assembly was the establishment of a global youth network. That informal network has evolved into YOURS.
The Youth Taskforce came together for the first time in March 2009 and was in charge of convening the direction of YOURS. Together they determimed the initial mission, beliefs & values and the themes. In 2010, the YOURS Staff Team came together and revised the the direction of YOURS with the help of the Youth Taskforce;
"A world where young people do not die or get injurred in traffic"
"YOURS is a unique global youth led organization that acts to keep young people safe on the world’s roads.'
Beliefs and Values
We are the world´s young people, it is unacceptable that we continue to die and get injured on the world´s roads. Knowing that:
- road traffic injuries are preventable
- the global road safety crisis will only get worse if we don´t act now.
In order to change the situation, we strongly believe…
- in the high potential of youth
- it is essential to mobilize, inspire and engage young people to take action
- in supporting each other as road safety role models
- in peer-to-peer communication
- in a positive approach that can make road safety ´cool´ and appealing to young people
- that we have to work together as one
YOURS has three themes of activities: advocating, networking & sharing and capacity development.
- The first theme advocating is to provide one voice for youth on road safety issues at a global level in order to increase awareness of youth road safety in the world as a global issue and to increase participation of youth in road safety.YOURS is an official member of the United Nations Road Safety Collaboration and represents the youth voice.
- The second theme networking and sharing, is to connect young people and youth-led NGO's active in the road safety field around the world, so they can work together and easily share information and experiences. YOURS facilitates this through the creation of the MINE section which offers an infrastructure to provide and online mechansm to compile and distribute information on youth road safety initiatives.
- The third theme is capacity development. Not just to turn young people into road safety advocates, but also equip them with project management, communication and advocacy skills, in order to organize effective road safety campaigns in their countries and raise awareness for the vulnerable position of young people in traffic. For example, YOURS is soon to publish a Welcome Kit, our first publication on Youth ad Road Safety. The kit will make road safety more accessible for young people and give them the tools to start being active.